Snoring is a common problem that affects millions of people around the world. Snores can be disruptive to both the snorer and their partner. However, there are many steps that can be taken to overcome this problem.
- Change Your Sleeping Position: Sleeping on your back can cause the tongue and soft tissues in the throat to collapse and block the airway. Sleeping on your side can help to keep the airway open.
- Lose Weight: Excess weight can cause fatty tissue to build up in the throat, leading to blockages and snoring. Losing weight through diet and exercise can help.
- Avoid Alcohol and Sedatives: Alcohol and sedatives can relax the muscles in the throat, try avoiding alcohol and sedatives before bedtime.
- Treat Nasal Congestion: Nasal congestion can make it difficult to breathe through the nose, leading to mouth breathing. If you have chronic nasal congestion, we can help.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking can irritate the lining of the throat and cause inflammation, if you smoke, try quitting or cutting back.
- Other tips
- Try to maintain a regular bedtime schedule.
- Avoid caffeine and heavy meals before bedtime
- Create a comfortable environment that is free from distractions and noise.